Sorry..... None of my pictures worked. :(
Then I was asked if I would accept the job. At the time, Tyler did not have a job, we were living with his parents and we really needed some money, not to mention that I wanted some experience. I was so proud of myself for getting a job less than two months after finishing my student teaching. I wasn't allowed to officially start until my background check went through, but I was able to go and observe the students and see the classroom.
There were 7 students, all boys in the classroom, two para professionals and a teacher. The first day I was just excited and thought about all the things I wanted to do on the walls and decorations and all the fun frilly things. After I thought I had my plan for what I would do with the furniture and decorations in the classroom, I started paying more attention to the students and the para professionals... since they were the ones I would be working with soon. That night, I was still trying to be positive, but all I could think was.... WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?!
The classroom was nothing like I imagined. The kids were whinny, violent, aggressive and not very friendly. My para pros did not seem like they liked me and the parents were rude when I told them I was going to be the new teacher that would teach their child. I was officially nervous and scared. I took it on anyways (since I had already accepted the job) and on January 17th I was the teacher. I was responsible the IEP's, learning and progress monitoring. YIKES!
Needless to say, the month of January was stressful for me and I usually called Tyler at least once a day crying and freaking out. I was not enjoying my job. I am not exactly sure when it got better, but it did. I started settling into my position, I got to know my para pros better and I felt like things were going to be okay.
Then, I got pregnant. At the time I just thought all the stress and aggression from the classroom was getting to me and I wasn't sure if I should quit. I took a pregnancy test and was soooo excited when I found out. Unfortunately, I was REALLY sick. It made me miss a lot of work. Luckily I had a very understanding principal and special education director who were supportive of me doing what I needed to do for my health and the health of the baby.
I only worked at East Valley Elementary (EVE) from January to June, but it was a good experience. I learned a lot and I am glad I had an opportunity to get my name out there in the teaching community.

Way to go Brittany. I think it is during these tough times that we learn the most.
ReplyDeleteThanks Danielle, you are so sweet!
ReplyDelete